Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Skype Goes to Retail Outlets!

I just read that Skype has struck a deal with Radio Shack to sell starter kits at their some 3,000 odd retail locations though-out the US. This makes sense as most of Skypes popularity came from overseas users and now in order to become profitable they need to get the big spending US market. The Kit that Radio Shck will sell comes with the software on CD, headphones, and 30 minutes of PC-to-Phone call time. Not sure of how much it will cost but it probably won't be more than $20 bucks.

I have to be honest I don't think it will sell that much but any sales this can produce is a plus for Skype who has yet to gain widespread acceptance in the United States.

Net2Phone tries this years back with the Yap Phones at Comp USA and that didn't do too well. I wish them luck but I would still recommend keeping their sales efforts online and considering they are now owned bye the powerhouse Ebay, I think new US customer acquisition should not be much of a challenge any more!

No comments: